Position: Development Director
Classification: 40 hours/week; Exempt
Reports to: Executive Director
Purpose of Position:
The Development Director will work with SPF’s Executive Director to coordinate and implement SPF’s development and outreach activities and programs.
Development & Fundraising (70% of time)
• Special event planning:
Coordinate, manage and execute all logistics involved for the three main fundraisers of the year: annual Harvest Dinner & Auction, “Our Valley, Our Future” Breakfast and Seattle Dinner; Other event management as needed.
• Donor cultivation and stewardship:
Plan and implement donor stewardship activities and relationship-building opportunities with donors with the goal of sustaining and growing membership contributions
• Organizational Marketing & Membership:
With a focus on growth, retention and engagement, implement SPF membership-related fundraising & marketing activities, including the development of all written fundraising appeals, activities & communications.
• Grant writing:
With strong written communication skills, manage current grant contracts, identify and secure new grant funding opportunities and complete all necessary grant reports as required.
• Database and record management:
Working with the Development Assistant, coordinate all necessary reports in Donor Perfect software.
Responsible for data entry and guest management in Auction Tracker software during Harvest Dinner & Auction season.
Assist with the development of the annual operating budget, under the direction of the Executive Director
Prepare regular development reports for board and staff, including updates on fundraising goals, strategies, etc.
Outreach & Education (30% of time)
• Plan, implement and execute outreach & education programs
Youth InFARMation Program: Farm Tours and Talking Fields
SPF Spring Farm Tour
Assist with InFARMation Radio and Crop ID Sign programs to remain updated with relevant, seasonal information
• Communication and marketing:
Participate in community events, as required, to share the SPF mission
• Volunteer Management:
Recruit and train community volunteers to help support different programs and activities, including event committees, outreach programs, etc.
• Community Forums:
Assist with the organization and execution of community forums and other meetings by providing support to Executive Director and Board on content and logistics.
Other Duties as Assigned:
• Special projects, assignments and meetings may be required from time to time.
• Supervise Development Administrator and Event/Program Volunteers, as required.
• Works in a typical office setting and requires long periods of sitting, typing and facing a computer monitor. Occasionally called upon to work overtime or odd schedules. Occasional lifting of boxes up to 50lbs.
• Occasional work outdoors in hot sun or cold and rainy weather along with walking in fields that may contain uneven ground and/or mud. Out of office work includes meetings with donors, sponsors, volunteers, public, as well as Farm Tours and special events.
• SPF office hours are 9:00am – 5:00pm, Monday – Friday. Some evening and weekend work is required, typically with advanced notice.
• Minimum of 5 years of fundraising experience.
• Program management & implementation–experience organizing and implementing programs and activities is required. This includes large and small scale events, guest management, working with vendors, donors, hosts, and service providers.
• Demonstration of excellent written and verbal communication skills; attention to detail and accuracy; ability to multi-task in dynamic, fast-paced, environment; self-initiative; flexibility; organizational skills; team player; accountable; respectful
• Proficient in MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook; Experience with non-profit donor software (i.e. Donor Perfect) and event software (i.e. Auction Tracker) is a plus.
• Ability to work a flexible schedule and overtime as necessary
• Ability to interact professionally with staff, board, donors, volunteers, and vendors
• Ability to work independently and assume additional responsibilities as required
• Commitment–Committed to SPF Mission
• Valid Washington State Driver’s License
Salary and Benefits:
$50K -$60K DOE. Salary will commensurate with experience. Benefits include a liberal sick leave and annual leave policy along with a monthly medical stipend and 3% employer matching retirement program.
To Apply: Please include a cover letter summarizing your qualifications, what you bring to this position and why you want to work for Skagitonians to Preserve Farmland, along with your resume.
Apply by email to email@example.com or send your application to:
Skagitonians to Preserve Farmland
Attn: Allen Rozema, Executive Director
P.O. Box 2405
Mount Vernon, WA 98273